Mp3 option gone?

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:03 AM
I'm a new YouCast user. I'm looking forward to listening to my youtube channels on the go. I don't see any Mp3 options listed under Preferred Quality. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Coordinator
Oct 29, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Yes
Unfortunately this feature can’t work with most pod-catchers and YouTube’s mp3 quality is very low (50kbps) so I decided to remove the audio option altogether.
However if you still wish to use this feature you can with the previous version

Thanks,
-Bar Arnon
Marked as answer by I3arnon on 11/3/2014 at 1:27 AM
Nov 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM
Thanks for the response and support. I tried the prior version, and I gave my podcatcher (Doggcatcher on Android) the RSS URL generated by YouCast. However, for some reason, Dogcatcher just pulled the youtube video list straight from youtube rather than finding any MP3 files.

Can you tell me what I may be doing wrong, or possibly suggest a podcatcher for which that option has worked in the past?

Thanks.
Nov 6, 2014 at 4:17 PM
By the way, I'm just trying to pull through spoken audio; not music. So 50kbps would be fine for what I need.

Thank you again.
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2014 at 4:48 PM
It worked on ITunes and MediaMonkey on my PC. I haven't tried any Android apps though.
The main issue is that to get the audio YouCast needs to first download the video, extract the audio to a temp file and then return it to the pod-catcher and that takes some time. Most pod-catchers timeout very quickly and close the connection while ITunes, MediaMonkey and maybe more just wait it out until it completes.
Nov 7, 2014 at 9:04 PM
First of all thank you you I3arnon for this amazing little program. You've made watching youtube with a Podcast program (Beyondpod & Gpodder in my case) so much easier for me. I basically use it if I want to watch & download all the uploads of a certain channel because all rss programs give you a feed of only the latest 25 videos. For catching up to my latest subscriptions' videos i use a regular rss feed.

I3arnon wrote:
Most pod-catchers timeout very quickly and close the connection while ITunes, MediaMonkey and maybe more just wait it out until it completes.
I3arnon strikes again! I've had this issue where Beyondpod only successfully starts streaming/downloading a video after a minimum of 3 attempts. Sometimes i even have to try 5 or 6 times! This is especially frustrating for bulk downloads like downloading 20 videos for a scheduled update and only a quarter of them actually downloads.

After reading your comment I checked the advanced settings in Beyondpod and found that the "time out" is set to 1 second. I changed it to 10 seconds and the positive result was immediate. There are still some instances where it will time out but it's extremely better now. Beyondpod actually "waits" now instead of rushing to tell me that the connection is lost.

Even though this is a small amount Ill donate $3 for a cup of Coffee :p just to show my appreciation.
Again, thanks I3arnon for your effort :)
Coordinator
Nov 9, 2014 at 3:35 PM
You, my friend, are a hero.
It's really nice to see someone care about something you made.
Thank you very much, and I hope I can make YouCast even better for you in the future.

Thanks,
-I3arnon
Coordinator
Sep 26, 2015 at 12:24 AM
Hey,
Just wanted to let you guys know that I've reimplemented the audio feeds in a different way.
YouCast now pulls the audio straight from YouTube instead of extracting it from video.
You can try the new version and see if it's any better.

Thanks,
-Bar Arnon
Marked as answer by I3arnon on 9/25/2015 at 5:24 PM