Youtube video limited max resolution

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:54 PM
I use YouCast with Miro for auto downloading youtube podcasts, as my isp throttles streaming to the point of constant buffering. Watch offline prevents me from from punching the screen.

The problem is no matter what preferred resolution I choose, maximum I get is 720p. Where as when I download manually with Internet Download Manager, I get upto 4k resolution. I have a feeling this has something to do with the flash video as I had to disable html5 to get beyound 720p in the past. But hey I'm no developer, just someone who wants to watch his podcast uninterrupted at max resolution.

Hope someone could help, cheers!
Coordinator
Aug 24, 2015 at 11:05 AM
Hey,
YouCast only works with mp4 videos so I assume these 4K videos aren't mp4.
Can you post the channel these videos are on so I could take a look at why that happens?

Sorry for the (very) long overdue reply,
-Bar Arnon
Aug 24, 2015 at 11:46 PM
Any reply is good news to me.

For example when I watch Hardware Canucks' hardware review, mp4 version of 1080p/2k/4k exist as seen in screenshot. Another example is pcper podcast. Also it seems disabling html5 is not needed anymore, any vanilla browser with IDM can directly download all available video resolutions.

Another problem i encountered soon after initial issue is seldomly Youcast/Miro fetch new videos automatically. This renders the whole setup useless, as when I get home from work, nothing new is downloaded! Had to manually restart Youcast to allow Miro to fetch new content. So these days I manually download and watch the next day.

YouCast seems like the only automated solution out there that that supports API V3 for folks like me with tyrant ISPs. I hope it gets improved so all of us can enjoy internet the way its meant to be.
Coordinator
Aug 31, 2015 at 7:57 AM
Well, for the update part, there is a new beta version that should fix that.
You can download it from the downloads section.

The resolution issue is much more problematic.
For videos above 720p YouTube uses DASH which means that the audio and video are split into different streams.
Since YouCast can only return a single url it can either return the video with no sound or return just the audio.

These other apps download both streams, merge them locally and then return the result but that currently isn't how YouCast works.
I'm considering trying to implement that though, if it's a feature people are interested in.

-Bar Arnon
Marked as answer by I3arnon on 9/26/2015 at 1:47 AM
Sep 1, 2015 at 5:22 AM
That makes sense. Disable HTML5 force load non dash 720p+ stream til early this year, but seems that option ceased to exist.
I previously used mp4box/ffmpeg with a very simple script to mux video and audio together for this exact reason before IDM started muxing streams automatically.

So if possible I'd like the option to download 720p+ audioless video stream. So I can mux streams manually.
I'm fully interested in a more complete solution and I hope you can spare some of your time to implement this.

Cheers for your hard work!

Also I can confirm auto update works with new beta.